Blogging has become one of the most popular ways to share information, opinions, and ideas with a wider audience. With the rise of social media and content marketing, creating blog posts that engage and resonate with your target audience has never been more important. And WordPress is the most powerful platform that allows you to create and publish content quickly and easily, with features that make it simple to structure and customize your posts.
Whether you’re a seasoned blogger or new to the world of content creation, this step-by-step guide will provide you with the tools you need to write engaging blog posts to reach over 100,000 views per month on WordPress.
What is WordPress for?
WordPress is a free, open-source content management system (CMS) used to create and manage websites. It allows users to easily create and publish content, such as blog posts, web pages, and media files, without needing to know how to code.
The website builder offers a variety of themes and plugins that can be used to customize the design and functionality of a website, making it a versatile platform for businesses, bloggers, and individuals. With its user-friendly interface and vast community of developers and users, WordPress has become one of the most popular CMSs in the world, powering millions of websites globally.
If you haven’t created a WordPress account, you have to try it to experience what it is like to build your own website.
Benefits of using WordPress for blogging
WordPress is a content management system that is widely used for blogging and website creation. With its user-friendly interface and flexible features, WordPress has become the go-to platform for bloggers and content creators of all levels. The benefits of using WordPress for blogging are numerous, including:
- User-friendly interface: WordPress has an intuitive, easy-to-use interface that makes it simple to create and publish content.
- Customization options: With thousands of themes and plugins available, you can easily customize your blog to reflect your brand and style.
- SEO-friendly: WordPress is optimized for search engines, making it easier for your blog to rank higher in search results.
- Mobile responsiveness: WordPress is designed to be mobile-responsive, ensuring that your blog looks great on any device.
Before you even start a blog site. Remember a good blog site must have a level of niche. Like a game of chess, you have to take niche building slowly. That means if you plan to write about personal finance, keep to it. That way, Google is able to rank you higher in subject authority. The more content you write about personal finance and meet every SEO requirement, Google has the higher chance of boosting your articles.
Blog Post Theme
The theme of your blog post sets the tone for your entire post and can make or break your reader’s engagement. A good blog post theme should be clear, concise, and easy to understand. It should also match your blog’s overall theme and style. Here are some tips on how to pick the right blog post theme:
- Start with a Clear Headline: Your headline should be clear and concise, and it should convey the main message of your post. A good headline will catch the reader’s attention and make them want to read more.
- Use Subheadings: Use subheadings to break up your post into sections. This will make it easier for readers to scan your post and find the information they’re looking for.
- Incorporate Visuals: Use visuals such as images, videos, and infographics to break up text and make your post more engaging.
- Write for Your Audience: Consider your audience’s interests and preferences when choosing your blog post theme. This will help you create content that resonates with them and keeps them coming back for more.
Understand that most people can’t actually write code or design websites. So if you need help with creating a website for your blog, be sure to go to Fiverr to source the best theme you like from a freelancer to use.
Organizing your content on different pages is another crucial factor in creating a successful blog. Properly breaking down your content makes it easier for readers to find what they’re looking for and keeps them engaged. Here are some tips on how to organize your content on different pages:
- Use Categories and Tags: Use categories and tags to organize your posts into different topics. This will make it easier for readers to find related content.
- Create an About Page: Create an About page to introduce yourself to your readers and give them an idea of what your blog is all about.
- Use a Contact Page: Use a contact page to make it easy for readers to get in touch with you. This will also help you build relationships with your readers.
- Use a Home Page: Use a home page to showcase your most popular posts, recent posts, and any other content you want to highlight.
Watch a Video Summary If you would Like
One of the main Youtube content creators that I follow I Adam Enfroy who has been publishing blog posts on WordPress and was able to financially retire as a blogger. In 2019, he made over $20,000 per month on passive income and in 2022 he earns $300,000 per month just in passive income alone. Insane!
I know this video will help you a lot as it helped me a lot with so much information packed in just one Youtube video.
Planning Your Blog Post
Before you start writing your blog post, it’s important to plan out your content. This will help you stay focused and ensure that your post is engaging and relevant to your target audience.
Brainstorming ideas for your blog post
Start by brainstorming ideas for your blog post. What topics are relevant to your niche or industry? What questions do your readers have? And what kind of content do they respond to? Once you have a list of potential topics, narrow it down to one or two topics. You need to choose topics that are most relevant and interesting. For example, cryptocurrency is a popular topic that readers all around the world are interested to know more about.
Defining your target audience
Once you have a topic in mind, it’s important to define your target audience. Who are you writing for? What are their interests, needs, and pain points? This information will help you craft a blog post that speaks directly to your readers and provides them with value.
Setting goals for your blog post
Before you start writing, it’s important to set goals for your blog post. What do you want to achieve with this post? Do you want to educate your readers, entertain them, or persuade them to take action? Setting goals will help you stay focused and ensure that your post is effective in achieving your desired outcome.
Writing Your Blog Post
Writing a blog isn’t as simple as writing whenever you want. You need to write something people actually want to read and there is actually a step-by-step guide on how to do that. You could write “Blogging my life as a stay-home mom” or you could instead write about “Here’s how to make easy money as a stay-home mom”. See the difference?
Crafting a catchy headline
The headline of your blog post is the first thing that your readers will see, and it should be attention-grabbing enough to make them want to read your post. Here are some tips for crafting a catchy headline for your blog post:
- Use numbers: Studies have shown that headlines with numbers tend to perform better than those without. For example, “10 Ways to Write a Blog Post on WordPress” is more likely to catch someone’s eye than “How to Write a Blog Post on WordPress.”
- Use power words: Words like “ultimate,” “definitive,” and “complete” can add a sense of urgency and importance to your headline.
- Use questions: Asking a question in your headline can make your readers curious and encourage them to read on. For example, “Do You Know How to Write a Blog Post on WordPress?”
- Keep it short and sweet: Your headline should be concise and to the point. Aim for around 6-8 words.
Structuring your blog post for readability
A well-structured blog post is essential for keeping your readers engaged and ensuring that they read your post all the way through. Here are some tips for structuring your blog post for readability:
- Use subheadings: Subheadings help break up your content into digestible chunks and make it easier for your readers to navigate your post.
- Use short paragraphs: Long paragraphs can be intimidating to readers, so try to keep them short and sweet. Aim for no more than 3-4 sentences per paragraph.
- Use bullet points and numbered lists: Bullet points and numbered lists are a great way to break up your content and make it more readable.
- Use transitional phrases: Transitional phrases like “however,” “in addition,” and “on the other hand” can help guide your readers through your post and make it easier to follow.
Adding images and multimedia to your blog post
Images and multimedia can add visual interest to your blog post and make it more engaging for your readers. Here are some tips for adding images and multimedia to your blog post:
- Use high-quality images: Low-quality images can make your post look unprofessional, so make sure you use high-quality images that are relevant to your content.
- Use multimedia: Videos, infographics, and other multimedia can add variety to your post and make it more engaging for your readers.
- Optimize your images: Make sure your images are optimized for web use so that they load quickly and don’t slow down your website.
Writing engaging introductions and conclusions
The introduction and conclusion of your blog post are just as important as the body of your post. Your introduction should be attention-grabbing and set the stage for the rest of your post, while your conclusion should summarize your main points and provide a call to action. Here are some tips for writing engaging introductions and conclusions:
- Use a hook: Your introduction should have a hook that grabs your readers’ attention and makes them want to keep reading.
- Summarize your main points: Your conclusion should summarize the main points of your post and provide a call to action for your readers.
- Use a conversational tone: Writing in a conversational tone can make your post more engaging and help you connect with your readers.
Optimizing Your Blog Post for SEO
If you are looking to be a professional content writer for blogging, get this e-book below for just $10(updated yearly) to have insight and knowledge of how to start and create a successful content writing business.
Steps to be a Professional Content Writer [ E-Book ]
If you’re looking to improve the visibility of your WordPress blog post on search engines, optimizing it for SEO is crucial. Here are some key steps to help you optimize your blog post for SEO:
Choosing Keywords for your blog post
Start by researching and selecting relevant keywords that people use when searching for content related to your topic. You can use tools like Google AdWords Keyword Planner, SEMrush, or Ahrefs to find the right keywords. Use these keywords strategically in your blog post title, subheadings, and throughout your content.
Keyword planner tools are one of the most expensive investments a blogger has to pay monthly. I pay for my keyword planner tool $50 per month. While you may think that is expensive, keyword research tools like Ahref or SEMRush are asking for over $100 per month for their services. They are great tools but I wouldn’t recommend it to beginners just starting out.
Instead, I highly recommend RankIQ which is the keyword research tool that I am using and I have made huge progress thanks to their service.
Before getting a keyword research tool, I was getting about 100 impressions per day(you can’t make money off that😅) but now I am able to consistently get over 1,000 impressions a day(10x), and recently I broke to over 3,000 impressions in a single day.
With keyword optimization, all I need to do is get the grade shared by RankIQ in order to increase my chances of getting ranked on Google. To do that, I have to add as many keywords to my content as listed on the right-hand side of the image.
That’s all you need to know about keyword research. If you would like to learn more about keyword research, you definitely need to get RankIQ to try it out for yourself first.
Writing meta descriptions and title tags
Your meta description and title tags play an essential role in helping your blog post rank on search engines. Write a descriptive and concise meta description that summarizes your blog post content and includes your main keyword. Similarly, write a title tag that accurately represents your blog post and incorporates your primary keyword.
Adding internal and external links
Including internal and external links in your blog post helps improve its SEO value. Internal links lead to other pages on your website, while external links point to relevant content on other websites. Make sure to include a few internal and external links in your blog post, but avoid overdoing it.
Using Plugins to enhance your blog post’s SEO
WordPress has many plugins that can help improve your blog post’s SEO. Some of the popular ones include Yoast SEO, All in One SEO Pack, and Rank Math. These plugins provide recommendations and suggestions to help optimize your blog post’s SEO value.
I use Yoast SEO since it is one of the best free online tools you can use today. It breakdown what information you need to add to your article in order for Google to have a likelihood of accepting your content on the Google search engine.
So do your best to get all green in your readability and SEO analysis!
Even if you were to get all green for the requirement, it does not mean you have a 100% probability of getting your content indexed. That’s why you must focus on getting high-value keywords in your content that Google is looking out for.
Promoting Your Blog Post
After writing a great blog post on WordPress, it’s important to promote it to increase its visibility and attract more readers. This is the final and most crucial step to getting the maximum earning for your content. Here are some key steps to promote your blog post:
Sharing your blog post on social media
Social media is a powerful tool to promote your blog post and reach a wider audience. Share your blog post on your social media profiles, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. Make sure to include an eye-catching image and a compelling caption to grab people’s attention.
As a rule of thumb, each social media has a specific target audience:
- Facebook – Older folks
- LinkedIn – For business outreach
- Pinterest – Women interested in fashion and beauty
- Instagram – Easy-to-read infographics
- Twitter – short description words
- Medium – long content to read similar to reading a newspaper
You can get Jetpack from a WordPress plugin totally for free to start and automate your social media sharing for your blog post. Thanks to Jetpack, I am now able to automate my social media sharing to LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
Engaging with your readers in the comments section
Encourage your readers to leave comments on your blog post and respond to their comments promptly. Engaging with your readers in the comments section helps build a community around your blog and encourages people to return to your website.
You can also create a publication on Medium like I did in order to get free social media backlinks. Medium is a free writing platform for writers to write content and make money. With Medium, I am able to share my content on the platform and make passive income thanks to it.
HustleVentureSG is a medium-sized publication on Medium with over 200 followers and 100s of writers. Everyone in the publication is interested in the content related to personal finance and the side hustle niche that I am in.
If you want to start making money on Medium, do join as a member as it does help to boost your odds of getting traffic to your content. It only costs $5 a month and you can easily make $50 a month just like I did!
Guest posting and collaborating with other bloggers
Collaborating with other bloggers in your niche can help expand your reach and attract new readers to your blog. You can do this by guest posting on other blogs or inviting other bloggers to contribute to your blog. Make sure to choose bloggers whose content aligns with your niche and target audience. Typically, guest posting can cost anywhere between $130 to $3,000 a month just to leave the content on the platform. It’s a great business, especially for established businesses with high DA(domain authority).
If you would like market penetration into the personal finance and side hustle category, you can reach out to us!
We provide a premium guest posting service for just $49 to leave your content permanently and we will also provide social media sharing to get you instant traffic to your blog.
Guest Post [PREMIUM]
Common Mistakes to Avoid
There are some common mistakes that bloggers make that can hurt their blog post’s visibility and engagement. These include not optimizing your blog post for SEO, not promoting your blog post on social media, not engaging with readers in the comments section, and not collaborating with other bloggers in your niche.
Not Having a Clear Niche
One of the most common mistakes that bloggers make is not having a clear niche. A niche is a specific topic or area that your blog covers. Many bloggers make the mistake of trying to cover too many topics, which can confuse their audience and prevent them from establishing a strong brand. By focusing on a specific niche, you can build a loyal following and establish yourself as an authority in your field.
Not Creating Quality Content
Another mistake that bloggers make is not creating quality content. Your blog is only as good as the content you produce. If your content is poorly written or lacks value, your readers will quickly lose interest and move on. To make a good amount of income from your blog, you need to produce high-quality content that is engaging, informative, and entertaining.
Not Promoting Your Blog
Many bloggers make the mistake of not promoting their blog enough. While creating quality content is important, it is equally important to promote your blog to attract readers. Social media, email marketing, and search engine optimization (SEO) are all effective ways to promote your blog and increase your traffic.
Not Monetizing Your Blog
Another mistake that bloggers make is not monetizing their blog. There are many ways to monetize your blog, such as display advertising, affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, and selling digital products. If you are not actively monetizing your blog, you are missing out on potential revenue.
Not Engaging with Your Audience
Engaging with your audience is crucial if you want to make a good amount of income from your blog. Your readers are the lifeblood of your blog, and it is important to engage with them to build a loyal following. Responding to comments, asking for feedback, and creating a sense of community are all effective ways to engage with your audience and increase your revenue.
Practical Tips to Avoid These Mistakes
Now that we have discussed the common mistakes that bloggers need to avoid, let’s look at some practical tips to help you avoid them and increase your revenue.
Choose a Specific Niche
To avoid the mistake of not having a clear niche, choose a specific topic or area that you are passionate about and that has a market demand. This will help you establish a strong brand and build a loyal following.
Produce High-Quality Content
To avoid the mistake of not creating quality content, focus on producing high-quality content that is valuable to your readers. Take the time to research your topics and ensure that your writing is clear, concise, and engaging.
Promote Your Blog
To avoid the mistake of not promoting your blog enough, make sure to promote your blog on social media, through email marketing, and through SEO. This will help you attract more readers and increase your traffic.
Monetize Your Blog
To avoid the mistake of not monetizing your blog, explore different ways to monetize your blog such as affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, and selling digital products. Make sure to choose methods that align with your niche and audience.
Engage with Your Audience
To avoid the mistake of not engaging with your audience, make sure to respond to comments, ask for feedback, and create a sense of community on your blog. This will help you build a loyal following and increase your revenue.
While there are many factors that can affect a blog’s income, there are also some common mistakes that bloggers make that can prevent them from making money. In this article, we will expand on what COMMON MISTAKES blogger need to avoid in order to make a good amount of income. We will discuss these mistakes and provide practical tips to help you avoid them and increase your revenue.
Recap of the key takeaways
So if I were, to sum up, what you need to remember, here’s what they are:
- Choosing relevant keywords for your blog post is crucial for optimizing it for SEO.
- Writing compelling meta descriptions and title tags helps your blog post rank higher in search engine results.
- Including internal and external links in your blog post can improve its SEO value.
- Using plugins such as Yoast SEO can help optimize your blog post for SEO.
- Promoting your blog post on social media, engaging with readers in the comments section, and collaborating with other bloggers can help attract more readers and build a community around your blog.
Encouragement to start writing blog posts on WordPress
Writing blog posts on WordPress can be an exciting and rewarding experience. It allows you to share your ideas, knowledge, and insights with the world and connect with like-minded individuals. With the right approach and tools, anyone can write a great blog post on WordPress. So, if you’re interested in starting a blog, go ahead and give it a try. You never know who might benefit from your content and how it might change their lives.